NOTE -- We are currently not taking Internship Applications.
College -- Husbandry Internship
This internship will allow interns to have a greater knowledge and understanding of the needs of animals being housed in captive environments and how to maintain those environments.
The Animal Husbandry internship program will involve the basic skills and knowledge needed to maintain captive animals and will grow as the finish of the internship to the all encompassing tasks that an Aquarist performs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Cleaning of the exterior and interior of the enclosures as well as areas around the enclosures (floors, counters, under and above enclosures).
- Preparation of food. Utilizing proper diets, appropriate ratios of ingredients, appropriate size pieces of food, proper feeding bowls, and appropriate amounts of food to be given.
- Feeding of animals. Incorporating correct placement of bowls, proper temperature of food to be given, and frequency of feedings
- Observation and monitoring health and well-being. Maintaining observation records, stool and urine, feeding and eating responses, lethargy, and stress levels.
- General housekeeping. Using appropriate cleaning and disinfecting agents to be used, sweeping and mopping of work areas, wiping down counters of work areas, proper removal of garbage, keeping up with laundry, cleaning lint filter every cycle, knowing proper amounts of detergent and bleach to use), keeping food storage areas and work areas neat and tidy, and washing carriers or caging on outside slab using pressure washer.
- Record-keeping. Maintaining feeding, observation, enrichment, and enclosure cleaning records.
- Exhibit maintenance
- Water changes
- Water chemistry
- Interns are encouraged to ask questions and fully understand all procedures and protocols for our animal husbandry department.
- Completion of 200 Hours or more
- Completion of Final Project and Presentation
- The Animal Husbandry Program intern will be required to complete a project approved by The Living Planet Aquarium husbandry staff members, as well as write a paper on the project and give a short PowerPoint presentation.
- Cover Letter
- 2 letters of recommendation
SUMMER SEMESTER INTERNSHIP
The LLPA is currently not offering summer internships in husbandry. Please check back for updates.
The Living Planet Aquarium
Whether you have 1 hour, 1 day or an entire lifetime, we have a volunteer position for you!